Which President Had the Most Dogs?
If a dog is man’s best friend, then a canine companion to the most powerful man in the free world must be pretty special, right? What if he had more than one… or two… or even five? To celebrate President’s Day, we’ve done our research and found the six presidents who had the most canines running through their White (and other) Houses.
6. Franklin Delano Roosevelt – In addition to being elected to the Oval Office four times, ending the Great Depression, and leading our country through the Second World War, FDR had seven dogs! The list includes: Fala (Scottish Terrier), Major (German Shepherd), Meggie (Scottish Terrier), Winks (Llewellyn Setter), Tiny (Old English Sheepdog), President (Great Dane) and Blaze (Bullmastiff).
5. Rutherford B. Hayes - Along with being known as a war hero, Rutherford almost had more pets than letters in his first name! He had eight dogs: Dot (Cocker Spaniel), Hector (Newfoundland), Duke (English Mastiff), Grim (Greyhound), Otis (Mini Schnauzer), Juno and Shep (Hunting dogs) and Jet (Mutt).
4. Herbert Hoover - Although employment levels were low, the number of dogs this Depression-era President owned wasn’t. Herbert’s nine dogs included: King Tut (Belgian Shepherd), Pat (German Shepherd), Big Ben and Donnie (Fox Terriers), Glen (Scotch Collie), Yukonan (Eskimo dog), Patrick (Irish Wolfhound), Eaglehurst Gillete (Setter) and Weejie (Norwegian Elkhound). And he also had two Crocodiles!
3. Theodore Roosevelt - “Speak softly and carry a big stick” will only get one so far on this list. With twenty additional pets (including a bear), Theo also had ten dogs: Blackjack (Manchester Terrier), Gem and Susan (Mutts), Jack and Peter (Terriers), Manchu (Pekingese), Pete (Bull Terrier), Rollo (Saint Bernard), Skip (Rat Terrier), Sailor Boy (Chesapeake Bay Retriever)!
2. John F. Kennedy - He may be the highest rated President ever, but he’s still only number two on our list with ten: Gaullie (Poodle), Charlie (Welsh Terrier), Pushinka (Mutt, who was a gift of Nikita Khrushchev and the puppy of space dog Strelka), Shannon (Irish Cocker Spaniel), wolf (part Irish Wolfhound and Schnauzer), Clipper (Harlequin Beauceron), Butterfly, White tips, Blackie, and Streaker (offspring of Pushinka and Charlie). As if that’s not enough to keep track of, he also had ten other pets.
1. Calvin Coolidge - Drumroll, please…or did you already peek ahead? Easily the most pets of any president, Calvin had 12 dogs as well as 14 other critters, including a hippo and bobcat! His entourage included Rob Roy and Prudence Prim (White Collies), Peter Pan (Terrier), Paul Pry (Airedale Terrier), Calamity Jane (Shetland Sheepdog), Tiny Tim and Black Berry (Chow Chows), Ruby Touch (Collie), Boston Beans (Bulldog), King Cole (German Shepherd), Palo Alto (Bird Dog) and Bessie (Collie).
Honorable Mention - The father of the United States - our first President - also had seven dogs. Sweetlips, Scentwell, Vulcan (American Staghounds), Drunkard, Taster, Tipler, and Tipsy (Black and Tan Coonhounds). Who knew our first president also had the first dogs named after spirits – some of the first booze-hounds.
Have a great President’s Day everyone!
Don't forget to sign up with the "Notify Me" button to get first access to Voyce and helpful and insightful tips from dog experts!